Help your students discover the wonder of nature at the University of Alberta Botanic Garden
The award-winning Kids in the Garden environmental education programs engage students in Grades K-12 with hands-on, interactive outdoor activities. In our half- or full-day curriculum-based field trips, students might hike natural forests and wetlands, catch an insect or a frog, hug a tree, or become a pollinating bee. All will deepen their connections to the natural world, led by the Garden’s trained interpreters.
Field trips have been offered at the Garden for more than 27 years. The 97 hectare (240-acre) garden, complete with forest areas, wetlands, indoor showhouses, butterfly house, Japanese Garden and the new Aga Khan Garden provides the perfect setting for students to discover their world.
FIELD TRIP BOOKING TIMES
SPRING SEASON- May and June
Spring 2019 Field Trips are fully booked and the wait list is now full.
Bookings for Spring 2020 start September 9, 2019
SUMMER SEASON - July and August
Bookings for Summer 2019 start May 15, 2019
FALL SEASON - September & October
Bookings for Fall 2019 start May 15, 2019
School Field Trip Booking Steps
- Pick your program -Review our UABG_KiG_Field Trip Booking Guide 2018-19 to determined the right choice for your class.
- Fill out a Field Trip Booking Request Form (link available when we're accepting applications - see Field Trip Booking Times above).
- We'll get in touch - an Education team member will follow up with you to go over your booking details and prepare your contract.
- Return your signed contract and pay your deposit to finalize your booking.
- Enjoy a great time outside with your students!
- Garden Tour (all grades) - 2 hours
- Kids and Critters (Pre-K to Gr. 3) - 2 hours
- Going Buggy (Pre-K to Gr. 3) - 2 hours
- Wetland Wonders (K to Gr. 6) - 2 or 4 hours
- Acting Wild (Gr. 2 to 6) - 2 hours
- Plants 101 (Gr. 4) - 2 hours
- Plants and People (Gr. 4) - 2 hours
- Trees and Forests (Gr. 4 to 6) - 2 hours
- Wildlife of Alberta - I (Gr. 4 to 6) - 2 hours
Junior High / High School Programs
- Forest Ecology (Gr. 7 to 9) - 2 hours
- Wildlife of Alberta II (Gr. 7 to 9) - 2 hours
- Conserving Biodiversity (Gr. 7 to 12) - 2 hours
- Aquatic/Terrestrial Study (Biology 20/30) - 4 hour
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (780) 492-3106