School Field Trips
Help your students discover the wonder of nature at the University of Alberta Botanic Garden
The award-winning Kids in the Garden environmental education programs engage students in Grades K-12 with hands-on, interactive outdoor activities. In our half- or full-day curriculum-based school field trips, students might hike natural forests and wetlands, catch an insect or a frog, hug a tree, or become a pollinating bee. Since the early 1980s, led by trained interpreters, school children have been making joyful connections to the natural world at the Garden.
The 97 hectare (240 acre) Garden, complete with forest areas, wetlands, indoor showhouses, butterfly house, Japanese Garden and the Aga Khan Garden provides the perfect setting for students to discover their world.
SCHOOL FIELD TRIP BOOKING TIMES
SPRING SEASON - May and June
Bookings for Spring 2021 start September 2020
FALL SEASON - September & October
NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are not taking bookings for Fall 2020 field trips.
SCHOOL FIELD TRIP BOOKING STEPS
- Pick your program -Review our Kids in the Garden School Field Trip Booking Guide to determine the right choice for your class.
- Fill out a Field Trip Booking Request Form (available when registrations are open)
- We'll get in touch - an Education team member will follow up with you to go over your booking details and prepare your contract.
- Return your signed contract and pay your deposit to finalize your booking.
- Enjoy a great time outside with your students!
PROGRAMS AT A GLANCE
- Garden Tour (all grades) - 2 hours
- Kids and Critters (Pre-K to Gr. 3) - 2 hours
- Going Buggy (Pre-K to Gr. 3) - 2 hours
- Wetland Wonders (K to Gr. 6) - 2 or 4 hours
- Acting Wild (Gr. 2 to 6) - 2 hours
- Plants 101 (Gr. 4) - 2 hours
- Plants and People (Gr. 4) - 2 hours
- Trees and Forests (Gr. 4 to 6) - 2 hours
- Wildlife of Alberta I (Gr. 4 to 6) - 2 hours
- Cultural Gardens Tour - (Gr. 5 to 8) - 2 hours
Junior High / High School Programs
- Cultural Gardens Tour (Gr. 5 to 8) - 2 hours
- Forest Ecology (Gr. 7 to 9) - 2 hours
- Wildlife of Alberta II (Gr. 7 to 9) - 2 hours
- Conserving Biodiversity (Gr. 7 to 12) - 2 hours
- Aquatic/Terrestrial Study (Biology 20/30) - 4 hour
For more information, email email@example.com or call (780) 492-3106