Visitor Information 2020
When you visit the University of Alberta Botanic Garden, a 240-acre (97 hectare) property located a few minutes SW of Edmonton, you can expect a relaxing, peaceful environment. At this "garden in a forest", you'll get an introduction to plants that survive and thrive in a northern climate, you'll see how cultures define gardens, and you'll be connected to the natural world in a beautiful way.
The Garden will open to visitors on June 1, 2020. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, operational changes are in effect at the Garden for the 2020 season. We are following the guidelines of public health officials and the University of Alberta. Please take a moment to read about the measures we are taking to ensure visitor and staff safety, and plan ahead for an enjoyable visit. Check this website before you come to the Garden, as information may change.
Reserving Your Visit
All visitors must make advance reservations using our online system. Walk ups will not be permitted. This will help us manage capacity and flow of visitors in the Garden, minimize contact points, and allow for physical distancing. We are required to gather contact information for all visitors to the Garden, which we will do at the time of reservation.
We will post links for reservations several weeks in advance. Tickets are non-refundable. The Garden is a rain or shine facility.
Group size is limited to 15 people. Within those groups, any parties that are not in the same household must practice safe physical distancing of 2 metres. There are no group discounts in 2020.
Before You Visit
- Visitor information might change during the season. Please check this website for the most current updates.
- Please plan to arrive on time. Entry times are staggered to ensure adequate physical distancing for patrons.
Do not come to the Garden if you:
- have a fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose or shortness of breath.
- have travelled outside of Canada within the last 14 days
- are a close contact of a person who has tested positive for COVID-19
Please follow signage and direction from staff.
- Guests are required to maintain physical distance of 2 metres / 6' from any person or group not belonging to their immediate household.
- One-way routes have been implemented on main pathways.
- Some garden areas that are too confined for appropriate distancing have been closed.
- Children remain close to their parents / guardians at all times.
- Guests can enjoy the outdoor gardens, however, indoor spaces are closed, including showhouses and Welcome Centre / gift shop.
- Benches and picnic tables are out of service.
- Tram service is closed - there are no golf carts for public.
- Loaner wheelchairs and strollers are not available.
- A limited number of portable washrooms will be available for use in parking areas.
- Washroom facilities are available in the Talar, in the Aga Khan Garden. There is one-way entry / exit to the building.
- All other washroom facilities are closed.
Hand Sanitizing Stations
Hand sanitizing stations are positioned in several locations throughout the Garden.
Food and Beverage
Water fountains and concession are closed. You are welcome to bring your own water and small snacks. However, picnics are not permitted, with the exception of Picnic Boxes purchased in advance through the Garden.
Extra cleaning and sanitizing of high-touch areas has been implemented. Hand sanitizing stations are located at several locations throughout the Garden.
One-way routing has been implemented through the Garden to maintain safe physical distancing. Some parts of the route may be challenging for unassisted wheelchairs (eg. hills, gravel pathways).
Tips for Enjoying Your Visit:
- Bring your water bottle and small snacks or reserve your Picnic Box (available soon).
- Bring your camera.
- Comfortable walking shoes will make your day a happy one!
- Dress for the weather – in Alberta, that means come prepared for any eventuality!
- As the Garden Shop is closed, remember your sunscreen, mosquito repellent and umbrella
- Gardening enthusiasts – bring your notebook so you can write down the names of amazing plants you’d like to try in your own northern garden.
- Leave animals at home. With the exception of certified service animals, pets are not permitted at the Garden.
- Smoking of any kind, including vaping and cannabis, is not permitted inside the Garden.
For more information call (780) 492-3050 or email firstname.lastname@example.org