Visitor Information 2021
You can expect to find your happy place when you visit the University of Alberta Botanic Garden!
Relaxation, rejuvenation and enjoyment are only 15 minutes SW of Edmonton. At this garden in a forest, you'll discover how nature ignites your "happy hormones", while you experience a peaceful, beautiful natural environment. Explore cultural gardens, northern climate-hardy plant collections and extensive natural areas, all on 240 acres.
Your happy place is waiting!
The Garden is closed for a few weeks to prepare for our winter activities.
We re-open for All-Canadian Winter programming, starting Jan. 27, 2022. On weekends, Jan. 27 through March 15, join us for for classic family-oriented outdoor winter fun.
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, operational changes are in effect. We are following the guidelines of public health officials and the University of Alberta. Please take a moment to read about the measures we are taking to ensure visitor and staff safety, and plan ahead for an enjoyable visit.
Reserve Your Visit
For Luminaria, visitors must make advance reservations using our online system. This helps us manage capacity and flow of visitors in the Garden, minimize contact points, and allow for physical distancing.
- Proof of vaccination policies are in effect. Please review the University of Alberta's Information for Visitors prior to making reservations.
Before You Visit
- Visitor information might change. Please check this website and the University of Alberta's Information for Visitors for the most current updates.
- Visitors to all U of A facilities are responsible for monitoring their health for COVID-19 related symptoms. Please use the Alberta Health daily checklist before visiting the Garden. Any visitors who feel unwell are asked to stay home; should you feel unwell after coming to to the Garden, we ask that you please leave immediately.
- Please plan to arrive on time. Entry times are staggered to ensure adequate physical distancing for patrons.
- Masks are required in all indoor spaces (eg. washrooms), or if you are unable to maintain physical distancing.
- Please maintain physical distance wherever possible.
- Please note that preliminary construction has begun on the Diwan Pavilion near the Aga Khan Garden.
Food and Beverage
- Outside food is not permitted, with the exception of water bottles and small snacks (eg. granola bar, fruit).
- The licensed Patio Cafe concession is open during Garden hours, serving light snacks and beverages.
Most open areas of the Garden are accessible on paved or brick pathways, which are kept cleared. Some parts of the Garden may be challenging for unassisted wheelchairs (eg. hills, rough terrain). Please call ahead to arrange loaner wheelchairs (limited availability).
Tips for Enjoying Your Visit
- Bring your camera - there are many photo opportunities!
- Comfortable footwear will make your day a happier one.
- Dress for the weather – in Alberta, that means to come prepared for any eventuality.
- Leave animals at home. With the exception of certified service animals, pets are not permitted at the Garden. This restriction is lifted on special Dog Days only. The next Dog Days will be held on March 12 & 13, 2022.
- Smoking of any kind, including vaping and cannabis, is strictly prohibited inside the Garden.
For more information call (780) 492-3267 or email firstname.lastname@example.org