UABG Unsung Hero Awards Contest
Ist Annual Unsung Hero Awards
2020 Instagram Contest
Do you know an unsung local hero, someone in the Edmonton Metropolitan Region who goes the extra mile and devotes their time, energy and heart to make their community a better place? Do you wish you had a way to show them how much you appreciate them?
You can nominate that special person for our 1st Annual Unsung Hero Awards. With your help, we will select 20 exceptional nominees, and invite them and a guest to attend a special celebratory evening, including a Twilight Picnic Experience at the University of Alberta Botanic Garden in August. We will give these heroes and heroines an evening to remember, with the royal treatment they deserve.
Do you want to show your Unsung Hero how much they mean to you? It’s easy to nominate!
Tell a great story about your Unsung Hero. On your public Instagram account, explain why you feel your nominee is a special unsung hero who deserves to enjoy a special Twilight Picnic Experience. Include the hashtag #UABGhero. Remember to tag your nominee, if possible, and be sure to tell a convincing story about why they deserve a special evening out. The stronger the story, the better the chances your nominee will be selected. Be creative - you can use photos, words or video.
Tell your friends on Instagram and encourage them to like and share, using #UABGhero. Entries will be judged on a combination of creative, strong stories and the number of likes, so spread the word. But remember, while the number of likes will contribute to a successful nomination, the final decision will be based on the story you tell, so make it as great as your nominee!
3. Selected nominees get a special Twilight Picnic Experience at the Garden, an annual pass to the Garden, and other great goodies!
Nomination deadline: July 20, 2020, 4 pm
We will notify selected nominators and nominees via Instagram direct message, and winners will be announced the week of July 27, 2020.
Successful nominees must be available to attend the 1st Annual Unsung Hero Award Ceremony on August 10, 2020 (alternate rainout dates will be announced if required).
Show your Unsung Hero the love!
Official Terms and Conditions
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
- CONTEST: The University of Alberta Botanic Garden "Unsung Hero Award 2020 Instagram Contest" (the “Contest”) is conducted by The Governors of the University of Alberta (“UAlberta”) and administered on behalf of UAlberta by the University of Alberta Botanic Garden (“UABG”). The Contest is intended to stimulate nominations, by way of Instagram posts, for the UABG’s 1st Annual Unsung Hero appreciation event in August 2020. This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Instagram.
- ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible for the Contest:
Eligible Nominators must:
(a) Be Eighteen (18) years of age or older;
and Eligible Nominees must:
(a) Be Eighteen (18) years of age or older;
(b) reside within the Edmonton Metropolitan Region
Nominees are not eligible for the Contest if they do not reside within the Edmonton Metropolitan Region or if they are an employee of the UABG, including a member of the immediate family (defined as mother, father, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters and husband or wife, regardless of where they reside) or household of any of the above persons, their respective affiliates, agents, licensors, associates or representatives. All decisions regarding eligibility to enter this Contest will be determined by UAlberta at its sole discretion. This Contest is void where prohibited by law.
- NUMBER, APPROXIMATE VALUE OF PRIZE AND CHANCES OF WINNING: There are twenty (20) prizes available to be won in this Contest (the “Prizes”). The Prizes are described in paragraph 9 below. The chances of winning a Prize will depend on the number of Eligible Nominations received in accordance with these Official Rules during the Entry Period as defined herein.
- CONTEST SCHEDULE: This Contest commences on Monday, June 29, 2020 at 2:00 p.m. (Edmonton Time) and closes on Monday, July 20, 2020 at 4:00 p.m. (Edmonton Time) (the “Entry Period”). Nomination submissions must be posted on Instagram before the contest closing time, which is Monday, July 20, 2020, at 4:00 p.m. (Edmonton Time) (the “Contest Closing Time”) to be eligible to win a Prize.
- HOW TO ENTER: No purchase is necessary to enter the Contest. To enter their Nominee into the Contest, the Eligible Nominator must nominate an Unsung Hero on their public Instagram account with the hashtag “#UABGhero” in the caption (“Entry Submission”). Participants are eligible to nominate more than once as long as each nomination has the hashtag “#UABGhero”.
All nomination posts will be reviewed, and any nominations which are deemed to be late, illegible, incomplete, inaccurate, inappropriate, offensive, plagiarized, subject to copyright or other intellectual property considerations, do not meet the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (“FOIPP”) or privacy considerations, as set out in paragraph 19 herein, and otherwise, or which are deemed to not enhance the reputation of UAlberta, will be disqualified. The determination of whether a nomination is illegible, incomplete, offensive, late, or deemed not to enhance the reputation of UAlberta will be at the sole discretion of UABG.
- CONTEST DETAILS: Nominations which have been selected, and whose Nominators have complied with these Official Rules, including without limitation the provisions of paragraph 8 will be declared the Winners. If necessary, should a Prize be unclaimed, or should the Winners be unwilling, unable or ineligible to win a Prize as set out in these Official Rules, the Prizes will be forfeited and UAlberta shall have the right, but not the obligation, to draw, as replacements only, an additional prize winner(s). All participants (including without limitation the Eligible Nominators and Nominees) must comply with these Official Rules. The determination of the Winners by UAlberta is final and binding. No communication with Eligible Nominators and Nominees will be entered into except with the Winners, which will be selected in accordance with these Official Rules. All matters related to the Contest and the verification of the eligibility of the Eligible Entrants and Winners will be conducted by UAlberta, or by persons designated by UAlberta in its sole and absolute discretion. All decisions made by UAlberta in this regard are final and binding and cannot be challenged.
- NOTIFICATION: UAlberta will first notify the Winning Nominators and Nominees the week of July 20, 2020. UAlberta will send a direct message to the Winning Nominators and Nominees via Instagram direct message, and if necessary, make arrangements for notifying the Winning Nominees by alternate means.
- DECLARATION OF WINNER: The Eligible Entrants will not be declared the winners in accordance with these Official Rules unless and until the UABG has verified that
a) the Winners are Eligible Nominees pursuant to these Official Rules
b) the Winning Nominees confirm they are able to attend a Twilight Picnic event on August 10, 2020 (or alternate rain date which will be established if required)
Once these requirements have taken place, the Eligible Nominees will be declared the winners (the “Winners”) and announced the week of July 27, 2020.
- PRIZE: There will be twenty (20) Prizes of an invitation to a deluxe Twilight Picnic Experience on August 10, 2020 for the Winning Nominee and their guest. Total value of each prize is a minimum of $200.00 (CDN). The Prizes are not transferable and must be accepted as awarded with no substitutions, except at the UAlberta’s sole discretion. UAlberta reserves the right to substitute a Prize of equivalent monetary value if UAlberta is unable to award the Prize as described. UAlberta will not be responsible, however, if factors beyond the UAlberta’s reasonable control prevents the Prize from being fulfilled. In any such event, the Winner will not be provided with a substitute prize or cash equivalent. The Prizes will only be granted to the verified Winners.
- CONTEST MODIFICATION OR CANCELLATION: UAlberta reserves the right, without prior notice and at any time, to delay, or terminate the Contest, in whole or in part, or modify, suspend, amend or extend the Contest in any way, in its sole discretion including without limitation if UAlberta determines that the Contest is not practicable or is impaired or corrupted or that fraud or technical problems, failures or malfunctions (including without limitation, computer viruses, glitches or printing or production errors) have destroyed or severely undermined the proper conduct, integrity, and/or feasibility of the Contest. In the event UAL is prevented from continuing with the Contest as contemplated herein by any event beyond its control, including but not limited to fire, flood, natural or man-made epidemic or health or other means, earthquake, explosion, labour dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, riot or civil disturbance, terrorist threat or activity, war or any federal, provincial or local government law, order, or regulation, public health crisis, the order of any court or jurisdiction, or by any other cause not reasonably within UAlberta’s control (each a “Force Majeure” event), then subject to any governmental approval which may be required, UAlberta shall have the right to modify, suspend, extend or terminate the Contest.
- PARTICIPATION: Participation in this Contest constitutes an agreement by each participant to comply with these Official Rules.
- DISQUALIFICATION: It is the participant’s responsibility to ensure that he/she has complied in full with all of the conditions and requirements contained in these Official Rules. If any Eligible Nominee or Nominator is found to be ineligible, or if an Nominee or Nominator has not complied with these Official Rules or declines the Prize for any reason prior to award, such Eligible Nominee will be disqualified and, in UAlberta’s sole discretion, an alternate Winner may be selected. UAlberta reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who is found to be tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest; to be acting in violation of these Official Rules; or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with the intent to disrupt or undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest, or to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
- RELEASE AND INDEMNIFICATION: By entering the Contest, each participant: (a) releases and agrees to hold UAlberta and its respective directors, officers, employees, and agents harmless from and against any and all costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including, without limitation, bodily injury and property damage, or any other damage or loss, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, to participation in this Contest, any Contest related activity, or from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any Prize, or participation in any Prize related activity; and (b) agrees to fully indemnify UAlberta and its respective directors, officers, employees, and agents from any and all claims on the part of any third party or parties related in any way and for any reason to the Contest or the Prize including, without limitation, death, and personal or property damage or injury.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UAlberta assumes no responsibility or liability for any notifications, responses, replies, or for any computer, telephone, hardware, software or technical malfunctions that may occur. UAlberta assumes no responsibility for any theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of Nominations. UAlberta is not responsible for any injury or damage to participants in this Contest.
- PUBLICITY RELEASE: By entering this Contest, each participant who submits an Nomination Submission, and each Winning nominee who accepts the Prize, hereby agrees and grants to UAlberta, without further compensation, the unrestricted rights, but not the obligation, to use the entirety of the Nomination Submission, as set out in these Official Rules and otherwise, and to use his/her name, picture, portrait, likeness, voice, along with his/her address (City and Province) and any statements made by or attributed to such Eligible Nominators, or other individuals associated with an Entry Nomination, in any and all media, now known or hereafter devised, without notice, review or approval, in perpetuity and throughout the universe, and for educational, advertising and promotional purposes in connection with the Contest, and any other promotions and programs, whatsoever, without further notice or compensation and hereby releases UAlberta from any liability with respect thereto.
- OFFICIAL RULES AND LAWS: These are the official rules (the “Official Rules”). This Contest is governed by and construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the Province of Alberta and federal laws of Canada applicable therein and the parties hereby attorn to the jurisdiction of the courts of the Province of Alberta. In the event a court determines that this Choice of Law clause is invalid or unenforceable as against an Entry Nomination, such Entry Nomination will be void. These Contest rules are subject to change without notice in order to comply with any applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws or the policy of any other entity having jurisdiction over the UAlberta. These Official Rules, as amended from time to time, will be posted on the UABG website at: https://botanicgarden.ualberta.ca/visit/unsung-hero-awards-official-terms-and-conditions/
- CONSTRUCTION: Words importing the singular shall include the plural and vice versa. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules shall otherwise remain in effect and be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained in these Official Rules. Headings and captions are used in these Official Rules solely for ease of reference, and shall not be deemed to affect in any manner the meaning or intent of these Official Rules or any provision hereof. These Official Rules cannot be modified or amended in any way except in writing by a duly authorized representative of the UAlberta. Employees of UAlberta are not authorized to modify, amend or waive these Contest Rules.
- PRIVACY: The personal information requested pursuant to these Official Rules is collected, used and disclosed under the authority of the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (“FOIPP”) and will be protected in accordance with Part 2 of that Act. It will be collected, used and disclosed for the purpose of administration of the Contest. All personal information collected for the purposes of administration of the Contest will be retained for two (2) years from the closing of the Contest.
Direct any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org